Friday 2 June 2017

Being a good flatmate - Draft post from 9th January 2013

Things like taking plates to the sink and hanging up your coat have a new name in my house: flatmate skills.

I have noticed that when T and H's father is in charge he can tell them to do certain tasks and they will do them. So sometimes I ask him to teach them to do a household task. I think it goes over so much better when it comes from him.

I am modelling 'washing up is fun' and 'laundry is good to do' with the expectation that one day they will just copy me and do it. I don't want power struggles over household tasks.

One day I may draw up a jobs chart and give us all a week at a particular task, so there is a simple rotation. The thing is there was nothing like this in my house when I was growing up. My brother and I had one job each for a while, but that faded away, probably when exams were more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...