Tuesday 19 August 2014

Growing up with a photo

This was the one which burned into my mind. The aunt at the funeral of her nephew killed in Vietnam.

By Constantine Manos

The photo annuals were kept on a low shelf so I could lie around looking at them on the carpet. My brother did other things so we didn't compete with each other on that one. I think my father must have been able to afford one per year, so that's what he got. I just looked at the same ones whenever I wanted.

There was a big book of work by Henri Cartier-Bresson - The Decisive Moment.

In a way having a small number of things to look at means loving them more as time passes. They are like the hills or the smell of sheep, always the same, but a fresh pleasure each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...