Tuesday 17 April 2012

Time passing

I found a short poem set in a remarkably clear article.

Reading the article made me aware that one day no one will be alive from the time of the Holocaust. That scares me as there would be no direct link to it, but maybe that will be a blessing too. Sometimes I feel that I can peacefully let all these things pass away, but at other times I do not want anything to be lost, not a conversation or book, poem or photograph of a face.

Will a text be written which will include important writings from nowadays? Wikipedia, the British Library? Neither is printed and portable!

It is probably the new words in our languages themselves which stay as evidence of extreme events. The songs and phrases within them, the proverbs. What about the names of places associated with dark events or the streets and squares named after remarkable people?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...