Thursday 10 June 2010

Work places

Because T is at work this week, I have been recalling all the different workplaces of my parents. I went to the tall NatWest tower, decades before the big bomb in the City, to various University of London departments, the Royal Institution, the Rheumatology Dept of the Middlesex Hospital etc etc.

Not only that, but I went to my aunt's workplaces plus my grandfather's and my grandmother's.

What about seeing the business of sewing, laying out the thin paper on the floor; the business of painting and carpentry and buying wood; seeing how petrol is siphoned by sucking it into a bucket; watching chicken being roasted and pastry made; hearing about selecting tenants; sorting out bread making and brewing (beer, wine, ginger beer); correcting the sea charts; hearing about PubMed before I had ever even seen the internet for myself; such a lot to see....and all this from a terraced house in the middle of London in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...