Monday 23 June 2014

Count Folke Bernadotte of Sweden

By chance I happened to see the end of part 1 of a 2 part documentary about this man. He arranged for survivors of German Prisons to be taken to Sweden and then tried to help the situation in Palestine in 1948.

There is footage of women leaving Ravensbruck for Sweden in 1945. One of them might be my great aunt. I wonder what the huge X marks on the back of some women's coats mean.

They all look the same to me though. I just remember her aged 70+, all glamorous and well-dressed, or in her swim suit steering their motor boat in the South of France.

aljazeera.com/programmes/specialseries/

After I had watched it I found myself sitting on the sofa thinking and doing a strange sort of hand-wringing at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...