Friday 30 May 2014

Ouch my French

I have had a look at the text I sent my mother yesterday. It has two major grammatical/spelling errors. Bless her, my mother didn't text a word about them. She texted back using perfect endings and the feminine where it should be. Ouch and blush. I need to dig out my French dictionary. Texting from a station while waiting needs all the information to be in my head.

A couple of weeks ago I forgot how to spell soleil. It only came back to me when I saw a lorry or some advertisement with it written clearly and boldly. That is my sort of language learning/relearning. Accidental and effective.

Maybe embarrassment is the strongest push to learn things, the emotion shoves the information right into the brain without any effort.

I used to try to chat to my Grandmother in French, but it never seemed right. She was an Anglophile anyway, her heart was here and she was more at home in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...