Tuesday 6 August 2013

Day without Twitter & Shaker Aamer

I found out about #TwitterSilence last night after midnight because people were tweeting about it and linking to blog posts. So I read them and then joined in.

That's wierd because I haven't been back yet to see what is going on with the Great Silence. I do feel as if I can't go into one of the rooms in my house. There's a tussle between my wish to retweet useful things to support Bahrain etc, and the knowledge that acting with many others is a one off chance.

The best thing about this was that the most important tweet from yesterday kept on ringing around in my mind. I told several people about it today at coffee after Meeting and it was surprisingly powerful and encouraging:

Clive Stafford-Smith had written that Shaker Aamer in Guantanamo has been turning to singing as part of his repertoire of actions as a prisoner. The best part of this is that he has been singing "Get Up, Stand Up" by Bob Marley and "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics. What great songs!

When I told the other people they got that worried, serious look as they brought Shaker Aamer to mind. Then as I mentioned the song titles they just smiled and relaxed. It was a big gift of happiness from Guantanamo.

Really the situation is very grave, but any glimmer of cheerfulness is a bonus. Molly Crabapple did a written piece with drawings on Guantanamo Bay a few days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...