Saturday 13 June 2015

52 - Holocaust - Naguib Mahfouz - Arranging

52 won the Saboteur Award

Being part of 52 has been a remarkable education in reading quantities of poetry and in giving feedback directly to the writer. My first poetry group was Mod Po 2013, which lasted 3 months. 52 lasted a year, though I joined 1/4 of the way in. I think it is best to just take part in one focused and highly interactive online group at a time.

2 more Holocaust books 

What is all this about? Do I need to read more? Will I get to a point of balance, letting that drama sit and paying attention to current dramas? Can I only take in a bit about it at a time, so do just that, a bit each year? Circling round what happened.

Is it wrong of me to have read little bits from them, before and after purchase, then to have carefully shelved them with my not-Poetry-or-Arabic section?

Palace Walk - Naguib Mahfouz

This is taking my attention. I don't want to go fast. Each paragraph holds such a lot. It is a contrast to the collection Al-Mutanabbi Street. Family life vs destruction. My mind can only take in a certain amount.

Arranging items by colour vs by material vs by function

Since I was working for most of the day at Oxfam I had time to shift my plans and create groups of blue items, groups of bold kitchen ware, a display of the most old-fashioned china soup tureens and tea pots. I kept on adding things to groups which were already in existence, rather like introducing friends: oh you both like such and such, and you both live in Oxford.. I will get you together.

I love creating more display space in the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...