Thursday 23 April 2009

Why do I Home Educate?

I have just realised that I ticked the wrong boxes on the form I looked at today while the EHE lady and I had our meeting. I should have said that I am now doing HE for philosophical reasons. That wasn't how we started, but that's where we are now.

Now I have quite a list of extras to mail to her as my follow up. Maybe I can look for that beautiful poem someone sent out on one of the lists I'm on. That would be a positive extra.

Maybe foolishly, I hope that by going through the experience of sharing how it is for us doing autonomous HE, one more person will begin to understand how it really works. Yet going through the process of trying to explain what we do is soul-destroying, confidence sapping and lonely.

When I was breastfeeding I was surprised by the ages of the other older children breastfeeding at La Leche League meetings. But I am so thankful they did, because in time I understood that those mothers just did what was right, regardless of my ignorant views. They knew I might one day understand, and that meeting their children's needs was more important than my opinion of them on that day. So I feel I am doing something similar.

2 comments:

  1. I vividly remember walking into my first LLL meeting...it was the beginning of a fine and worthy journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know many people refuse to meet the people sent to 'check up on them', but i agree with you. How can these people get to understand about autonomous learning if they never see the children who do it?
    I'm sorry that it isn't easy though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...